Have 2 people hold the flag horizontal to the ground.
Fold the flag lengthwise. Pull tight and keep taught.
Then fold the flag lengthwise one more time.
Bring the lower striped corner to the upper edge, forming a triangle at a 90 degree angle.
Then fold the upper point 90 degree triangles while assuring the folds are smooth. Then fold the upper point in to form another triangle.
Repeat this procedure until the flag has reached end of the stars.
A finished flag, properly folded, is smooth, taught and squarely stowed. When you get near the end—nothing but the blue field showing—tuck the last bit into the other folds to secure it.
Flag Folding Ceremony
The ceremony of folding of an American flag may be narrated at special occasions. The following narration is from the United States Air Force Academy and is read aloud as each fold takes place:
- “The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.”
- “The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.”
- “The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.”
- “The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.”
- “The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, “Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.”
- “The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”
- “The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.”
- “The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered in to the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on Mother’s Day.”
- “The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.”
- “The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since they were first born.”
- “The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon, and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”
- “The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.”
- “When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto, “In God we Trust.”
If you are looking to purchase a new flag be sure to check out our American Flags for sale. We carry only flags made to the flag manufacturers of America guidelines to ensure that from top to bottom our flags are 100% made in the USA.